Issues we face
Progress for Our Community Members
A Continuing Barrier
Despite the great strides made since the ADA passed and the recent move towards integration, access to quality healthcare still remains an elusive concept for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Although the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) offers some protections, there are larger problems with the healthcare system as a whole.
Some of the major barriers to provide care for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities:
- Shortage of physicians with skills and adequate training to care for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, resulting in care focused on a particular disability rather than whole person care
- Lack of trained and culturally sensitive support staff in healthcare facilities
- Scarcity of medical practices willing and/or prepared to take the time to properly care for patients with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Lack of facilities that are accessible and have the proper equipment to care for patients with disabilities
- Low reimbursement rates for physicians and specialists resulting in patients traveling further to seek care, as well as long wait periods to see general physicians and specialists
- Complex and confusing insurance and health care systems, coupled with poor care coordination
Call to Action
By listening closely to our community members’ clamoring voices, The Achievable Foundation clearly realized the urgency to tackle these barriers and disparities in health, and transform the healthcare system for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Out of this dire need, we seized the opportunity to develop an innovative approach to care, and The Achievable Health Center was born.
Our medical providers are knowledgeable about the needs of people with intellectual/developmental disabilities, take the time to listen, and treat each individual patient with the utmost respect. We are housed in a state-of-the-art custom-built accessible facility and provide patients access to a variety of support systems. Please visit our health center page to read more about this groundbreaking program.